Me. My calling.
It’s astonishing to think that every person has been created with a unique set of gifts, skills and personality to fulfill the calling that God has on their life.
I’ve always known that God wants to use me and that He’s willing to take my gifts and use them for His purpose. BUT, to think that EVERY gift I have and who I am is specifically created to fulfill a distinct call that God has on my life is somewhat of a new concept. I’m in awe that God cares so much about me and that He made me in such a special way to fulfill His perfect plan through me.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Psalm 139:14-15
Most of us live our lives completing a list that is before us on any given day. We take opportunities that come our way and try to live our days honouring God. In the past months, I’ve taken a step back. I’ve sought God regarding who I am and what He created me for. I’ve made some great discoveries I would like to share about how you can learn more about God’s call on your life:
1. Reflect on your life. Plan some time for reflection. Ask yourself some hard questions like: Am I doing what I love to do? Do I feel I’m in the right place? Have I even considered that God has a call on my life? Do I know what my calling is?
To this end also we pray for you always, that our God will count you worthy of your calling, and fulfill every desire for goodness and the work of faith with power. 2 Thessalonians 1:11
2. Discover your gifts. There are endless tools and assessments to discover our gifts. You may want to do something simple like take a spiritual gift test or take more in-depth assessments like StrengthFinder, Myers Briggs, and Birkman, (just to name a few).
For the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable. Romans 11:29
3. Define your passion. Think about the things that you have done in your life that gave you the greatest joy and fulfillment. What were some of the characteristics around those opportunities? Think about those times when you found yourself doing something that your inner person became so excited about, that it was no longer work. You may have said, “I would even pay to do this.” Passion is fuel for our soul. What is it that you are passionate about? It’s a clue to the very thing that God created you for. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord. Colossians 3:23
4. Pray and ask the Holy Spirit to show you next steps to discover God’s call in your life. Seek God’s direction and ask Him to specifically show you what next steps you should pray for. Ask Him what you need to do to discover His call for your life. He will answer you and begin to give you opportunities. They may be small and inconsequential at first, but as you recognize that you are doing things that ignite your passion, praise Him and continue to seek.
But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere. James 3:17 and 1 Corinthians 2:9-16
5. Step out in faith. As you sense the Holy Spirit placing desires in your heart that align with your passion and giftedness, pray for opportunities to surface. When they come, step out in faith. It’s always wise to seek confirmation through Scripture and godly people, especially if the decision would have an impact on other people as well (which it usually does). Then, start taking steps and serve in the areas of your passion. God will show you His calling.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths. Proverbs 3:5-6
After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you. 1 Peter 5:10
You are wonderfully and intricately created by God. He loves you deeply. He made you with a uniqueness that only He fully understands. Seek Him to help you discover His call on your life. It will bring clarity and joy as you see God using your uniqueness to fulfill His call.